Monday, February 14, 2011

Butternut Squash Ravioli w/ Brown Butter Sauce


As much as I would have loved to make up my own ravioli, sometimes convenience rules...especially when it's on sale. A couple weeks ago I picked up a few varieties of Rising Moon Organics Ravioli (found in your freezer aisle at New Pioneer Coop or HyVee Health Market). These are perfect for nights when you're in a pinch but still craving something a bit more satisfying than a PB&J. Pull one out of your freezer, add sauce, and viola!

I choose to dish up the Butternut Squash variety and made a succulent brown butter sauce to go with. Literally, it was one of those nights where J and I had just gotten done working out, time was getting late, and he was probably expecting me to say something boring like...eggs when he asked what's for dinner....he definitely didn't expect my response of Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sauce and a side of Sea Salt Edamame :)
Brown Butter Sauce:
Ingredients:

3/4ish stick of butter (can choose to use an alternative such as Land O Lakes Natural Whipped)
I cut down the butter from a stick and half so added a Tablespoon or so of olive oil.
2 tablespoons torn fresh sage leaves
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped (I used pine nuts as I did not have walnuts on hand)
1/2 cup dried cranberries, or chopped dried cherries, or mixture of both
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh is best...adds so much more flavor for less amounts)
Instructions:
Melt the butter (and olive oil) in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
Add the sage, walnuts and cranberries and let cook until the butter starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Top ravioli with the brown butter sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
I told you it was simple.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good
www.sarabconsulting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment