Memorial Day = food and fun.
It seems this weekend is the official kick off to summer activities....boating, pool, fishing and summer foods....burgers, corn, ice cream :)
I thought I would share one of my favs when it comes to summer cuisine...
You can't deny it, watermelon just hits the spot on those HOT, 100% humidity days.
It also hits the spot after a good long workout...in fact, I'm munching on and rehydrating myself with it now! Did you know watermelon is about 92% water!
Contains more lycopene than any other fresh fruit of veggie.
Vitamin A found in watermelon is important for optimal eye health, can help prevent night-blindness, and boosts immunity by enhancing the infection-fighting actions of white blood cells called lymphocytes.
Vitamin B6 found in watermelon is used by the body to manufacture brain chemicals (neurotransmitters), such as serotonin, melatonin and dopamine, which preliminary research shows may help the body cope with anxiety and panic.
Vitamin C in watermelon can help to bolster the immune system's defenses against infections and viruses and can protect a body from harmful free radicals that can accelerate aging and conditions such as cataracts. http://www.watermelon.org/health.asp
How to select a good watermelon:
Look it over. Is it firm and symmetrical? Is it free from bruises, cuts or dents?
Lift it up. The watermelon should be heavy for it's size.
Turn it over. The underside of the watermelon should have a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
How to cut a watermelon: (I learned this technique after watching a vendor at the NCAA National track meet in DSM) very slick
1. slice the watermelon into two halves.
2. trim the bottom off of both halves.
3. slice down the side of the watermelon. just enough to trim the rind off and not waste a lot of the heavenly nectar.
4. slice through the watermelon so you have about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick slices.
5. repeat going the other direction and you get these fries-like slices. J and I find it fun eating the watermelon like this...actually, anything you have eat with you fingers is fun.
6. if you would like more cube-like slices, simply take your knife horizontally through the middle of the watermelon. YUM!
Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good