You always have those moments of "why again did I sign up for this" prior to a race. My came during the following:
- as I did my brick workouts and realized its really not that fun to run after you bike
- that swimming is so hard on my hair, especially when coloring it.... oh and especially when you have a wedding a month away ;)
- when the alarm clock went off at 3:15AM, no worries though I was up every hour anyways nerves, bathroom...
- standing on the start line at 6AM peering out at the dark water lurking before me
- consuming enough lake water during my swim to properly hydrate for the remainder of the race
- consuming my first hammer gel on the bike....mmm tastes like fudge, kinda
- starting the run, while seeing the leaders finishing and knowing I have 4 ginormous hills ahead of me
- the incredible feeling of accomplishment and a job well done, nothing like the runner's high
- training and competing with Jeremy (fiancee)
- seeing your family and friends on the course!!! There is no better motivation.
- knowing the health benefits of the hard work you put in
- placing 4th in your age group at only your second Olympic tri! time: 2.34 for me and 2.24 for Jeremy
- reaching the half way point of the run and knowing it's "down hill from here"
- and of course....the t-shirt
J and I have a 10 mile race this weekend in Storm Lake. One person starts on a bike the other runs. You have to finish together. So the strategy is finding the best combination of bike/run between you and your partner...we have no clue. I am thinking if I get tired and it's my turn on the bike I may just take off and meet him at the finish ;) yeah right...he wouldn't be happy.
Untill next time...
Look good, feel good, do good
pictures to come from HyVee