Friday, August 28, 2009

Baked Tilapia, Mashed Cauliflower, and Sweet Potato Brownies

Last night, I tried not one or two, but three new recipes!

Tilapia

First, I wanted to try some more herbs from my garden so I marinated Tilapia in lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, sea salt, and pepper.

I let this marinate for about 30ish minutes and then baked, covered in aluminum foil for about 25ish minutes at 350 degrees. Very light and fresh. Would be great served with a lemon squeezed over top.


I realize it appears to be laking some color :) I think next time I will serve green beans as well OR mashed carrot sweet potatoes (I will have to post the recipe)...yum!

Mashed Cauliflower
I wanted to find an alternative to the oh-so-comforting mashed potatoes...and I did!
I first cleaned and cut into small pieces one head of cauliflower. I threw this all into a Ziploc steam bag and steamed away in the microwave.

I then transferred the cauliflower in a hand blender (or food processor if you have one) and blended until smooth. I added skim milk, tad bit of Smart Balance butter, and sea salt for flavor. You could do olive oil, buttermilk, chives...and the list goes on.

These were very satisfying and a nice alternative to mashed potatoes.

Sweet Potato & Cinnamon Brownies



Jeremy has been bugging me for brownies all week so I finally decided to try out this recipe I got out of my Clean Eating Magazine.

Ingredients:
Brownies
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T cinnamon, ground
1 t baking powder
1/4 t sea salt
1 c peeled and cooked sweet potato
1/2 c agave nectar
1/4 c olive oil
1 t pure vanilla extract (Watkins is the best)
6 egg whites
Icing
1/2 c low fat plain cream cheese
3 T agave nectar
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 t cinnamon, ground
1 T water (optional)

Instructions:
preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare brownies: combine first 5 dry ingredients in medium mixing bowl and set aside. In food processor, combine sweet potato, agave nectar, olive oil, and vanilla. Puree till smooth.

Gradually mix wet ingredients into dry, until just combined. Do not over mix.
In separate dry bowl, whisk egg whites until fluffy. Using spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter.
Lightly spray sides of baking pan (9x9x2 in) with spray. Pour batter into pan and place into over. Bake for about 16-18 mins.
While brownies are baking, prepare icing. In small bowl, combine cream cheese ,agave nectar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Whisk until smooth. Add water if needed. Cover and refrigerate.
Now the recipe says to let brownie cool in fridge over night and then ice before serving, however...like we were going to wait till morning to try one. So I frosted them after they had cooled and we each enjoyed one..or two :)
They may not be as sweet as your typical brownie, but they have an amazing texture less caloric, added nutrient value (sweet potato) and hit the spot!

nutrients per brownie: calories 140, fat 5g, sat fat 1.5g, carbs 21g, fiber 2g, sugar 12g, protein 4g, sodium 75mg, chol 5mg

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do goog

No comments:

Post a Comment