Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Perfect Roasted Chicken

A few weeks ago I decided to try my hand at preparing my first roasted chicken. As I peered down at my chicken I saw that it was 4 lbs. At the time, this was the same estimated weight as the baby in me :) I eagerly ran to show J what it felt like to hold 4 lbs. He wasn't so sure about comparing the chicken I was about to oil up and bake to my belly but I made my point.
Perfectly Roasted Chicken
from Barefoot Contessa
great entertaining recipe as it is simple to prepare, tastes great and looks impressive

Ingredients:
1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh thyme
Few sprigs of rosemary
1 lemon, halved
1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted - I used Land O Lake natural whipped
1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
Olive oil
optional: veggies to roast
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, rosemary, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. (I tied the herbs together with kitchen strings for easy removal). Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and or olive oil and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.

Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. (As you can see I am not an expert in this, but in my own way managed to tie 'er up....here's a video to help).
Optional: roast veggies like carrots, fennel, and onion around chicken. Coat with olive oil and leftover thyme and rosemary. I choose to prepare my roasted veggies in a separate pan so I could make LOTS!

Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. BEWARE: This made a mess of my oven...the grease splattering everywhere. Next time I will opt to loosely cover the chicken with foil and see how this goes. Place chicken and vegetables on a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good

No comments:

Post a Comment