Friday, January 14, 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes

Every Sunday when I was a kid my mom used to cook up a yummy brunch after church. Sometimes it was as simple as toast and eggs to as fancy as quiche, but my favorite brunches were when she made pancakes or waffles. I usually go to be the flipper and then had my fill at the table...easily polishing off a tall stack.
Man, I love pancakes! I look forward to carrying on this tradition with my family...which by the way...5 weeks till we meet Baby S!
Oatmeal Pancakes

Ingredients:
3/4 C oat flour (grind 1 cup whole oats (not instant) in a food processor or magic bullet)
1 C whole wheat flour
1 T stevia or sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
3 T butter, melted and cooled, I used Land o Lake naturally whipped
1 1/4 C buttermilk
1 C cooked oatmeal, not instant
1 T honey
2 large eggs
1/4 C finely chopped pecans or walnuts or almonds
Instructions:

Mix together the oat flour, flour, sugar, powder, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, stir the melted and cooled butter, buttermilk, cooked oatmeal, honey, and eggs together. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Fold in nuts. Do not over mix.Heat griddle to medium-high heat. Lightly coat with oil or butter and cook pancakes to perfection.
Keep pancakes warm in an oven at 200F.

Fruit Sauce
I like to make a fruit sauce to go with my pancakes so I don't have to use as much maple syrup. Simply pour a bag of frozen berries into a small saucepan, add 2-3 T real maple syrup, heat until bubbling, reduce to simmer. Puree with a hand blender (careful not to splatter everywhere).

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good
http://www.sarabconsulting.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment