Monday, November 22, 2010

Baked Deep-Dish Butternut Squash

Turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie...oh my!
For those who have no idea what they will be bringing to the Thanksgiving feast....I am here to solve that mystery with this delicious recipe.....
Baked Deep-Dish Butternut Squash
with pears
from Eat Clean Cookbook
I always like to volunteering to serve a dish that I know can be made healthy but far to often is smothered in sugar or butter.
You all know what I am talking about here......marshmallows a top otherwise healthy golden brown sweet potatoes.

Ingredients:
8 c butternut squash cubes (about 2 squashes)
3 stalks celery, trimmed and cut into chunks
2 yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped (I only used 1 for J)
4 T olive oil, divided
1 tsp dried thyme
1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
2 firm pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
3 egg whites + 1 whole egg, well beaten
3 T whole grain flour
2 T sweetener (I used evaporated cane sugar, you can opt for brown sugar, honey, agave nectar)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
2-3 Ts apple butter (I used my mom's homemade thick apple sauce)
1/4 c ground pecans
2 c whole grain bread crumbs
honey

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375F. Spray large casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray. Prepare a large roasting dish (maybe two) by lining with parchment paper (optional) otherwise spray.
In large mixing bowl combine squash, celery and onion. Add three tablespoons of the olive oil along with the thyme and toss to mix.
Distribute this mixture evenly between the roasting pans. Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and give the vegetables a flip so they brown on both sides. Add chopped apple and pear and return to oven to bake for another 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Place the cooled, roasted squash and fruit mixture in food processor. Process until smooth, may need to do in batches.
Transfer puree to a large mixing bowl and add eggs. Mix well. Set aside.
In small mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Add to squash/apple/egg mixture. Combine well. Pour into a prepared casserole dish. Set aside.
In another small bowl combine apple butter, pecans, and breadcrumbs. Mix well until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in an even layer over casserole.
I drizzled some of my brother's harvested honey over top for an extra treat for your tastebuds. Bake in hot oven for 30 minutes. Keep an eye on dish during last few minutes of baking so as not to over brown. Serve hot and enjoy hearing all the mmmmm's!

Let me know what your family and friend think....I would love to hear!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!


Sara B News: Lose 10lbs by Christmas! 24 Day Challenge informational meeting tonight at 7pm in Waukee . Contact me for details!


Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good
http://www.sarabconsulting.com/

1 comment:

  1. It didn't take me long to convince my family to have this for Thanksgiving- can't wait to try it. As always, thanks!

    ReplyDelete