Thursday, September 9, 2010

First visit to the Apple Orachard this season & Homemade applesauce

The other week J and I made our first trip of the season to Wilson's Apple Orchard just outside of Iowa City.
One of my favorite things about fall, besides football, is the FOOD, duh. Apples, squash, pumpkin, and everything that is made from these scrumptious ingredients.

Here I am, ready to go!

We had to travel on the unbeaten path to get the best apples

Good think I wore my high waters

J has spotted a good one!


Out varieties this time included: Ginger Gold, Summer Treat, and Burgundy.

With full buckets we were ready to head home.

I just wanted to share a picture of the fun apple I picked up at New Pioneer Coop the other day....it was pink inside!

Homemade Applesauce
:
Ingredients:
4 apples that have been peeled, cored, and chopped into pieces
1/4 tsp lemon zest
juice of 1/2 lemon
ground cinnamon to taste (start with a couple teaspoons)
sweetner to taste (start with 1/4 C) - I used evaporated cane juice (you can purchase in HyVee health market), you can also opt to use brown sugar, Stevia, honey, agave nectar, etc.
about 1/2 C water

Instructions:

Place all ingredients in large pot over medium-high heat. Cover and cook ingredients for 10-20 minutes or until apples are soft. Allow to cool and then mash with potato masher or fork.

My pal Abby just made homemade applesauce as well (great minds think alike)...visit her site here.

Enjoy! and GO CYCLONES!

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good
www.sarabconsulting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment