Saturday, August 7, 2010

We're Pregnant!

As we go through different stages in life our nutrition does as well.

Recently, I have entered into a new stage.....the mac & cheese, carbs please, smoothies sound scrumptious stage of life aka the pregnancy stage! Yes, you heard it....J and I are expecting our first baby in February. We are feeling very blessed and excited.

I have been feeling pretty good minus the "did I just get off the silly silo?" queasies all day.

Because of these I find it hard to crave some of foods I used to like a big spinach salad.
I have to find ways to disguise the greens....like putting broccoli in mac & cheese. Which by the way I haven't had mac & cheese since college, but saw it on tv one day and declared, "yep, want some of that!" I also add canned tuna for an extra omega 3 nutrition punch (making a smart baby or at least hope he/she has better math skills than me).
(mac & cheese from the Atlas, downtown Iowa City)

It's not that I really have specific cravings, I just want foods that sounds good to an upset stomach.

Have you ever taken a multi vitamin on an empty stomach and got some serious nausea from it....it's like that.... but ALL day. There's no such thing as "morning sickness"...it can be "noon, dinner, midnight sickness." I think a guy made up the term morning sickness so women would shut up about feeling sick by noon. Not gonna happen.
I can't complain though, have only had to hug the porcelain a couple times. J's sweet and brings in water and holds back my hair. He said that's what the "book" said to do.

I have managed to keep up some exercise. The biggest obstacle holding me back is I have NO desire to do it from being tired and queasy. However, I have found that it makes me feel incredibly better. So I try to get in a swim, bike, run, or crossfit.

As I begin the 2nd trimester I'm hoping I will feel more energized and less sick. Therefore, I am contemplating training for the Des Moines half marathon...we'll see.
I told J, I think it would be fun to do a race while preggo....he reminded me I already had....the HyVee Triathlon (unknowing, I was 3 weeks along), so much for waiting to "try" till after the tri.

(I had no idea!!!)
We thought 12 weeks would be a good time to make the "social network announcement." However, our family and friends have known for a few weeks now.

We told my parents and Matt out in Glacier. We were all making a champagne toast to things we were thankful for, I was last....and I bet you know what I said.

Mike and Kelli and Bryan, Marie and Emmerson were next with these candy bars:

J's family came the next day while having dinner at his parents. We gave his mom and gift to open:

Everyone is very happy and excited for us. We are blessed to have such wonderful families to introduce Baby S to.
We had our first doctor's appt the other week. We got to hear the heart beat which was AWESOME!!!! It really made it feel official. 175 bmp. WOW! He/she must be running around in there.
As J and I lay in bed at night, each with a baby book in hand, we pray for a healthy baby and thank God for this wonderful oppurtunity to start a family.

I will be continuing to update you on the baby's and my belly's progress as I just can't contain my excitment!
Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good

4 comments:

  1. YAY! I craved mac and cheese with both my boys! And yes the sickness lasts all day... but it is worth it. Hopefully it will get better (and for me I wasn't as sick with my second boy :) ). You look great. PS we need to celebrate our bdays with some TCBY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are THRILLED for you two! What a lucky baby to have you guys as parents. Congrats from Texas!

    Love, The Reeds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! The second trimester is the honeymoon one- enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay - that's fantastic news! I am 18 weeks now and I had that same sickness the whole first trimester - but feeling much better now. I was right there with you on the carbs and I couldn't touch raw veggies the first three months but am now back to enjoying them - as long as there's a nice hunk of protein to go along with it :)
    CONGRATS Cousin!

    ReplyDelete