Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tofu & Sun Dried Tomato Qunioa/Brown Rice

As I cruised through the grocery store last week I noticed tofu was on sale, "oh that's nice I thought" as I walked on by and then something hit me. I realized I had been depriving all my readers out there...vegetarian or not...of good tofu recipes. Yes, you heard me correct, GOOD TOFU recipes.

I had to put an end to this....I went over, gave each type a good squeeze...squishy, squishier... perfect...extra firm.


I was reminded of a recipe I recieved from Erin Penticoff (former track teammate at ISU). She said I HAD to make.

Don't even knock it before you try it....if you ever have been hesitant to try tofu this recipe will change your opinion FOR GOOD! It is just ridiculous how good it is....remember all my recipes are taste tested approved my J.

Tofu& Sun Dried Tomato Quinoa
with Pesto Sauce
Ingredients:
splash of extra virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt
1 shallot, minced OR 1/4 onion diced
3 C cooked quinoa, brown rice, or other grain (remember to rinse your quinoa before cooking...see labels: quinoa for how to prepare)
1 C corn, fresh or frozen (I used peas since I did not have corn on hand...I had tofu but no corn imagine that)
2 C spinach, kale, other other hearty green, finely chopped (be generous on your greens...always love adding extra veggies)
2 C extra-firm niagri tofu, browned in a skillet a bit
1/3 C pesto (mine was store bought but feel free to make you own!)
1/3 C pumpkin seeds, toasted
1/4 C roasted cherry tomatoes OR chopped sun-dried tomatoes


Instructions:
To roast cherry tomatoes: heat oven to 350F. Cut each tomato in half and place in large oven proof baking dish. Mix together splash of olive oil, spoonful of brown sugar, and pinch or two of sea salt. Pour over tomatoes and toss gently making sure all tomatoes get covered. Make sure each tomato is face side up before placing pan in oven. Bake for 45min. Tomatoes will be shrunken and sweet when finished. These are sooooo good. Top salads, sandwiches, or pop em' like chips!

For the salad:
First, slice and brown tofu in medium-high heated pan greased with olive oil.


In big skillet or pot heat olive oil and salt over medium-high heat. Stir in the shallot/onion and cook for a minute or two. Stir in the grain (quinoa, rice..etc) and corn and cook through.

Stir in greens and tofu, cooking until tofu is heated through.

Remove the skillet from heat and stir in pesto and pumpkin seeds. Mix well so the pesto in spread throughout. Place mix in a serving dish and top with sun dried cherry tomatoes.
Beautiful and delicious! Tastes like chicken :) ha...I crack myself up, seriously though...amazing.

I hope you enjoy it as much as J and I did. Let me know when you serve it up to your family and friends OR if you have any other tofu recipes I must try! Thanks again Erin for sharing!

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good

No comments:

Post a Comment