Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Winter Tomato Soup

I told you I was on a soup kick...

J and I were craving grilled cheese and tomato soup the other day.
However, I was so disappointed when I looked at a tomato soup can and saw high fructose corn syrup in the ingredients. I should have known. Not to be defeated, I decided it was time to clean up my tomato soup!

Winter Tomato Soup
My friend Abby A. gave me this recipe...thanks Abby!
Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion
2 clove garlic, chopped or 1 tsp jarred chopped garlic
2 T no salt added tomato paste
1 tsp stevia, agave nectar or honey
1 tsp thyme
1 bat leaf
2 cans no salt added diced tomatoes (I used olive oil and garlic seasoned)
1/4 c fat free milk
2 t plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
Instructions:
heat olive oil in medium sauce pan. cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, sugar source, thyme, bay leaf, tomatoes and juices, and 2 c water. Stir together and bring to boil. reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove bay leaf, Using handheld blender, puree soup in saucepan until smooth. (if doing this in blender, let soup cool and blend in batches).

Add milk and yogurt to soup and stir in. let soup warm, salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Make 4 servings but I suggest doubling it as you'll want leftovers!
Nutrition: 76 cals, 1.5g fat, 14g carbs, 3g fiber, 3 g protein.


Another tasty vegetarian, protein packed soup is my Aunt Barb's Quinoa Soup (found under soups)

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good
www.sarabconsulting.com

see you at the Simpson Health Fair Thursday from 11-2

No comments:

Post a Comment