Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year's Resolutions and Super Easy Turkey Lasagna

I'll be honest...I've never really made NY's resolutions, but for some reasons this year I have a whole laundry list of them ;) Now, I am being practical and have chosen a few to focus on in 2010 and will share these with you. I am hoping this will hold me more accountable!

Physical:
Take up yoga! After suffering an injury last year that kept me from running in the Boston Marathon and could have probably been prevented with proper stretching...I thought this would be a wise idea. I am again scheduled to run Boston this April and am determined to make it to the start...and finish lines :)
so somewhere in my marathon, triathlon, and crossfit workouts...I am now doing yoga...phew!

last night was hot house yoga....notice the TWO water bottles

Eating/Cooking:
Cleaner cooking and eating. It's funny because I teach people this in Sara B Consulting but feel I have gotten away from it slightly...finding myself using Splenda brown sugar more often, indulging in diet sodas, and over consuming cereal. Now, I am probably clean with 70% of my diet and would like to get back to 80-90%. I am equipped with my Clean Eating Mag, Tosca Reno's Clean Eating cookbooks, and my garden come spring.
What is clean eating you ask? In a nutshell: 6 small meals per day, exercise daily 5x week, avoid all processed foods, choose unrefined foods whenever possible, and watch out for fat, sodium, calories, and sugar. The part I am working on is the eating less processed and more real foods...closer to nature I say. For example, get back to using honey and agave nectar instead of Splenda brown sugar to sweeten things, sticking to 1 bowl of cereal instead of two (this is super hard for me), and enjoying more single ingredient foods.
oh and trying new clean practises....I bought a nut milk sack the other day aka I am making my own almond milk...stay tuned ;)
keep in mind when you are training for an athletic endeavor you will have gu's, gels, bars that just don't fit into clean eating but are needed for energy during workouts....so be it.

People always ask about "fake" sugars....am I for or against. Every individuals diet is different and I have to see where and how it is consumed before making any judgements. Personally, if I am to use one in cooking/flavoring I opt for Stevia (if brown sugar is not called for)I feel this may be the lesser of evils as it is "natural." Is Splenda harmful....that's still up for debate. Nothing as been proven as far as I know....but I do know this...it gives me some serious GI distress with large consumption.
Because with training and the fact that I do not sweeten too many things, I decided I do not need to worry about the few extra calories from honey or agave nectar to sweeten my sweet potatoes or steel cut oats. Drizzle away!

Spiritual:
One-Year devotional study of women in scripture "Women of the Bible" by Ann Spangler and Jean Syswerda

awwww....I feel better already!

Super Easy Turkey Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey BREAST
3 C (1 jar) spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 c water
1 container cottage cheese, 1% or fat free
1 c 2% shredded mozzarella
1/2 c grated Parmesan
2 eggs
any veggies (I used spinach and red peppers)
1/4 c chopped parsley
sea salt
black pepper
any other Italian seasoning you desire
whole wheat lasagna noodle (I sued Rozoni Healthy Harvest)
Instructions:
Heat oven to 350F. In 3 qt saucepan over medium-high heat brown turkey. Add spaghetti sauce and water; simmer about 10 minutes. Meanwhile in medium bowl, stir together cottage cheese, half mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, eggs, spices.
Pour 1 c meat sauce on bottom of 9x13 pan. Arrange uncooked noodles over sauce; cover noodles with sauce. Add half cheese mixture over sauce. Place chopped veggies on top of cheese layer. (of course I added veggies!)

Repeat with noodles, sauce, cheese. Top with layer of noodles and any leftover mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 45minutes. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes when done. Enjoy!



more veggies...side of spinach salad

Until next time...
look good, feel good, do good
http://www.sarabconsulting.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment