Wednesday, December 15, 2010

'Tis the Season...

For cookies!
So this isn't exactly a "healthy" recipe post, but it is a yummy one!
Sunday I got into the baking mode and set out to share some holiday spirit by whipping up J and I's favorite Christmas cookies.
A key to keeping your health in check....sharing with others!

Aunt Pam's Gingersnap Cookies
Ingredients:
2 C flour - I used about 1/2 white whole wheat flour
1 T ground ginger
fresh grated ginger is the secret ingredient, I added about 1 tsp - may add more next time for a stronger flavor
2 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c molasses
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
sugar for bowl
Instructions:
Measure flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, and salt into sifter. Cream butter until soft and gradually add sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Sift dry ingredients over creamed mixture, blend well. Form mixture unto balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place on uncreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake at 350F 12-15 minutes or until they are slightly browned, rounded, and cracked on top. Cool thoroughly before storing.

Benefits of ginger:
Ginger aids in relieving nausea...these would have been great about 5 months ago when I was going through first trimester queasiness.
Ginger also has an anti-inflammatory effect and aids in muscle recovery......your excuse for having a cookie post workout.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. flour - I used about 1/2 white whole wheat flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter - I tend to use slightly more (maybe 1/4c) to make moister cookies
1 egg
2 tbsp. skim milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Instructions:
Combine ingredients. Roll into balls, roll balls in sugar. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes. Top with chocolate kiss immediately upon removal from oven. Place in hot oven for 2 more minutes (don't forget about them!!!) This helps glue the kiss to the cookie.

What's your favorite holiday cookie?

Until next time....
spread some JOY
and look good, feel good, do good...
http://www.sarabconsulting.com/

2 comments:

  1. Mmm! I love good old sugar cookies and this one cookie my mom used to make-I can't find a recipe anywhere...memories are all I have of that one!

    Hope your holiday baking was a success! I'm baking for my teachers this weekend. I plan on baking sugar cookie cut-outs and fudge (my first time for that one!). My math teacher is lactose-intolerant, so I'm going to try making a dairy-free version of the fudge.

    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be excited to hear how the fudge turns out!? Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete